- HMD Global has reaffirmed that all of its Nokia smartphones will be updated to Android P.
- Android One devices guaranteed at least two years of updates, but HMD has promised to support last gen models as well.
- Nokia 2.1 and Nokia 1 will both run Android Go version of the next flagship OS upgrade.
- is coming to all of HMD Global’s Nokia smartphones, from the Nokia 1 all the way up to the Nokia 8 Sirocco, and including the newly announced Nokia 2.1, Nokia 3.1, and Nokia 5.1.
- Prior to the launch of HMD’s refreshed trio of low-end devices, the company’s global marketing manager, Neil Broadley, confirmed that the latest major version of Android will come to the entire Nokia portfolio as part of its commitment to the “pure, secure, and up-to-date” mantra.The news shouldn’t be too surprising to those keeping a close eye on the calendar.
All of the Nokia devices running Android One — the Nokia 8 Sirocco, Nokia 7 Plus, Nokia 6.1, Nokia 5.1, and Nokia 3.1 — are all within the two-year guarantee period Google demands for flagship updates.
Likewise, HMD Global previously promised that the first generation of Nokia phones — the Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Nokia 6, and Nokia 8 — will all be updated to Android P.
That just leaves us with the Nokia 2 and the Android Go duo: the Nokia 1 and the fresh-faced Nokia 2.1. Not to worry, though, as HMD confirmed that all three will enjoy all the benefits of the as-yet-unnamed OS upgrade, with the latter two rocking a streamlined version for entry-level devices.
With Android fragmentation still a broader concern, it’s great to see HMD Global fully commit to timely updates across its entire range, as well as three years of security patches for all Android One models. The Nokia 7 Plus is also one of a small number of phones that is compatible with the Android P Beta.
What do you think of HMD’s approach? Should more OEMs follow suit? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
- Google reportedly planning Pixel 3 for October, and the XL model will have a notch
- After-effect of Ranbir Kapoor’s Sanju trailer: Sanjay Dutt flooded with multiple calls